Summary: - In the thrilling third book in Chris d'Lacey's popular series, David Rain is faced with a perilous task. ICEFIRE's evil sibyl Gwilanna is back, this time determined to resurrect the dragon Gawain on the ice cap of the Tooth of Ragnar. Can David and his friends stop her before it's too late? - Chris d'Lacey is the author of several highly acclaimed books for children and young adults, including A HOLE AT THE POLE; FLY; CHEROKEE, FLY; THE FIRE WITHIN, and ICEFIRE. Chris works as a research scientist for Leicester University and lives in Leicester, England with his wife. - - About the Author: - - •Best-selling author Chris d'Lacey was born in Malta. He has published twenty-two books, including nine novels. His books have been widely translated and his first children's novel, Fly, Cherokee, Fly, was highly commended for the Carnegie Medal. Other titles include The Salt Pirates of Skegness, A Break in the Chain, and From E to You. Writing was not d'Lacey's first career choice. "I never had plans to be a writer," he says. "When I was in my teenage years my dream was to be a famous songwriter. It wasn't until my early thirties that I tried my hand at any sort of fiction. I kicked off with a gentle 'Christmassy' story that grew, alarmingly, into a 250,000 word adult saga about polar bears. I realized then I had the writing bug." After he wrote his first story, he waited seven years to write another. "Then a friend told me about a competition to write a story for young children," states d'Lacey. "I wasn't going to have a go at first - until I found out the first prize was ?2000. So I started scribbling, fast!" The story, entitled A Hole at the Pole, didn't win the award, but he sent the story to a publisher and they accepted it. The Fire Within is the magical story about mysterious hand-crafted clay dragons that have unusual powers. d'Lacey's inspiration was a craft shop that sold clay dragons. He fell in love with the dragons, but he didn't have enough money to buy one, so the owner pointed him to a section of the store reserved for dragons that have been chipped. "They were a bit cheaper than the other dragons but no less beautiful," says d'Lacey. "And it was there that I saw the most appealing creature in the whole shop. He had a slight chink out of one foot and his 'topknot' was missing (a 'topknot' is on the top of a dragon's head and looks a bit like a shark's fin) but I bought him in an instant." d'Lacey felt that he needed a magical name, so he called him Gadzooks. Chris alternates writing with full-time employment at Leicester University. He lives in Leicester with his wife, Jay. - Author: Chris d'Lacey - Illustrator:0 - Publisher:Scholastic Paperbacks - Published Date:01/01/2008 - Format:Paperback - ISBN:0439901855 - #of pages:#N/A -
Summary: - - David and the dragons are back in the latest installment in the NY TIMES bestselling Last Dragon Chronicles. - - After destroying a trace of dark fire, David, Zanna, and the Pennykettle dragons vanished. In a brand-new world, Co:per:nica, which runs parallel to that of Crescent Lane, firebirds roam the ancient librarium, a museum for books. But when 12-year-old David and Rosanna accidentally injure one of the firebirds, they are suddenly thrust into a remarkable adventure. The evil Ix have taken over one of the firebirds, turning it to the side of darkness, but the birds have a secret:They know about the existence of dragons. And from across the universe, one may come to their aid.... - - - - - - About the Author: - - • - Chris d'Lacey is the author of several highly acclaimed books, including the NEW YORK TIMES bestselling series the Last Dragon Chronicles: THE FIRE WITHIN, ICEFIRE, FIRE STAR, THE FIRE ETERNAL, and DARK FIRE. Additionally, he is the author of the middle-grade series The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, also published by Orchard Books. He lives in Leicester, England, with his wife, where he is at work on his next book. - - - - - - - Author: Chris d'Lacey - Illustrator:0 - Publisher:Orchard Books - Published Date:04/26/2011 - Format:Hardcover - 054528368X - -
- Paperback - - For every kid who really wants to know—and for every exasperated parent who simply doesn't know—here is a lively omnium-gatherum of explanations to the most frequently asked questions about our world, from "Why do stars twinkle?" to "What are hiccups? "Taken from Kathy Wollard's popular column, "How Come?" (seen for the past six years in Newsday and recently syndicated nationally through the Los Angeles Times), How Come? explains why cats can survive high falls (because of the way their bodies can act like a "parachute") and how black holes absorb light (intense gravity—if the Earth had the same density as a black hole, it would have to be compressed to the size of a marble!). Now you can know it all. - - -
Summary: - Thirteen-year-old Steven has a totally normal life: he plays drums in the All-Star Jazz band, has a crush on the hottest girl in the school, and is constantly annoyed by his five-year-old brother, Jeffrey. But when Jeffrey is diagnosed with leukemia, Steven's world is turned upside down. He is forced to deal with his brother's illness and his parents' attempts to keep the family in one piece. Salted with humor and peppered with devastating realities, DRUMS, GIRLS, AND DANGEROUS PIE is a heartwarming journey through a year in the life of a family in crisis. - - - - About the Author: - - •JORDAN SONNENBLICK is the author of many acclaimed novels for Scholastic Press. He lives with his very supportive wife and two remarkably amusing children in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie was his first novel. - Author: Jordan Sonnenblick - Illustrator:0 - Publisher:Scholastic Paperbacks - Published Date:09/01/2006 - Format:Paperback - ISBN:0439755204 - #of pages:#N/A -
- What can we learn from dinosaur poop? What does T. rex have in common with lions, eagles, and human beings? What?s wrong with the film Jurassic Park? The companion booklet to this build-your-own Model T. rex answers all these questions and inspires more. Read all about it! From the Cretaceous Period to Jurassic Park, David George Gordon uncovers the dirt on T. rex from Earth roamer to Hollywood star. Includes: ? Body with motor ? 5 snap-on skeletal parts ? 2 stabilizers SmartLab Toys manufactures toy-plus-book products that entertain and educate through hands-on exploration for children ages 4-12. - - Features include: - - •Build-it-yourself confidence building - •Interactive play - •Make your own fossils -
Summary: - "ANGELS AND Mortals, Believers and Nonbelievers, look heavenward," Maya Angelou writes, "and speak the word aloud. Peace." Angelou's moving poem is a radiant affirmation of the goodness of humanity. First read at the 2005 White House tree-lighting ceremony, it comes alive again as a fully illustrated children's book, celebrating the promise of peace in the holiday season. In this simple story, a family joins with their community-rich and poor, black and white, Muslim and Jew-to celebrate the holidays. - - About the Author: - - •Maya Angelou is a poet, writer, performer, teacher, and director. In addition to her bestselling autobiographies, which began with - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - , she has also written five poetry collections, a cookbook, and the celebrated poem "On the Pulse of Morning," which she read at the inauguration of President William Jefferson Clinton. She lives in North Carolina. - - Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher have collaborated on many award-winning and - New York Times - bestselling picture books, including - My Many Colored Days - by Dr. Seuss, - New York's Bravest - by Mary Pope Osborne, - The Velveteen Rabbit - by Margery Williams, - The Cheese - by Margie Palatini, - The Boy on Fairfield Street - by Kathleen Krull, and - Star Climbing - . - Author: Maya Angelou - Illustrator: Steve^Fancher Johnson - Publisher:Schwartz & Wade - Published Date:09/23/2008 - Format:Hardcover - ISBN:0375841504 - #of pages:#N/A -
Summary: - - - Boys don't keep diaries—or do they? - - - - The launch of an exciting and innovatively illustrated new series narrated by an unforgettable kid every family can relate to - - - It's a new school year, and Greg Heffley finds himself thrust into middle school, where undersized weaklings share the hallways with kids who are taller, meaner, and already shaving. The hazards of growing up before you're ready are uniquely revealed through words and drawings as Greg records them in his diary. - - In book one of this debut series, Greg is happy to have Rowley, his sidekick, along for the ride. But when Rowley's star starts to rise, Greg tries to use his best friend's newfound popularity to his own advantage, kicking off a chain of events that will test their friendship in hilarious fashion. - - Author/illustrator Jeff Kinney recalls the growing pains of school life and introduces a new kind of hero who epitomizes the challenges of being a kid. As Greg says in his diary, “Just don't expect me to be all ‘Dear Diary' this and ‘Dear Diary' that." Luckily for us, what Greg Heffley says he won't do and what he actually does are two very different things. - - Since its launch in May 2004 on Funbrain.com, the Web version of - Diary of a Wimpy Kid - has been viewed by 20 million unique online readers. This year, it is averaging 70,000 readers a day. - -   - - - F&P level: T - - - - About the Author: - - •0 - Author: Jeff Kinney - Illustrator:0 - Publisher:Amulet Books - Published Date:04/01/2007 - Format:Hardcover - ISBN:0810993139 - #of pages:#N/A -
Summary: - Five years have passed since David Rain, now a bestselling author, disappeared mysteriously in the Arctic. Slowly the ice is changing; bears are starving; dragons are rising; and the spirit Gaia, goddess of the Earth, grows restless. But all living things may suffer if she takes action. As the weather grows wilder and the ice caps melt, all eyes turn from the north to David's daughter, Alexa. She is the key to stopping it. . . . Can one girl save the world from the forces of evil before she disappears like her father? - - The fiery fourth book in Chris d'Lacey's Last Dragon Chronicles is now out in paperback and sure to enchant all readers! - - - - Praise for THE FIRE WITHIN: - "D'Lacey's characters are realistic and engaging. . . . A page-turner." -THE HORN BOOK REVIEW - - Praise for ICEFIRE: - "Chris d'Lacey's writing is sometimes exciting and sometimes silly. But that seems in keeping with the worlds he created - one that seems almost real and one that is beyond imagination." -THE WASHINGTON POST - - Praise for FIRE STAR: - ". . . [T]he story, with its involving and thought-provoking plot full of clever little dragons, mystical polar bears, and spiritual and ecological aspects, will appeal to many fantasy lovers." -SCHOOL OF LIBRARY JOURNAL - - - About the Author: - - •Bestselling author Chris d'Lacey was born in Malta. He has published t22 books, including nine novels. His books have been widely translated and his first children's novel, Fly, Cherokee, Fly, was highly commended for the Carnegie Medal. Other titles include The Salt Pirates of Skegness, A Break in the Chain, and From E to You. Writing was not d'Lacey's first career choice. "I never had plans to be a writer," he says. "When I was in my teenage years my dream was to be a famous songwriter. It wasn't until my early thirties that I tried my hand at any sort of fiction. I kicked off with a gentle 'Christmassy' story that grew, alarmingly, into a 250,000 word adult saga about polar bears. I realized then I had the writing bug. "After he wrote his first story, he waited seven years to write another. "Then a friend told me about a competition to write a story for young children," states d'Lacey. "I wasn't going to have a go at first--until I found out the first prize was ?2,000. So I started scribbling, fast!" The story, entitled A Hole at the Pole, didn't win the award, but he sent it to a publisher and they accepted it. The Fire Within is the magical story about mysterious hand-crafted clay dragons that have unusual powers. d'Lacey's inspiration was a craft shop that sold clay dragons. He fell in love with the dragons, but he didn't have enough money to buy one, so the owner pointed him to a section of the store reserved for dragons that have been chipped. "They were a bit cheaper than the other dragons but no less beautiful," says d'Lacey. "And it was there that I saw the most appealing creature in the whole shop. He had a slight chink out of one foot and his 'topknot' was missing (a 'topknot' is on the top of a dragon's head and looks a bit like a shark's fin) but I bought him in an instant." d'Lacey felt that he needed a magical name, so he called him Gadzooks. Chris alternates writing with full-time employment at Leicester University. He lives in Leicester with his wife, Jay. - Author: Chris d'Lacey - Illustrator:0 - Publisher:Orchard Books - Published Date:01/01/2010 - ISBN:0545051649 - #of pages:#N/A -
- For a new "spin" in remote control fun, it's the Spin n' Go Fire Truck. Watch it drive across the floor with the control of a unique and easy to use remote control wand. Pull the wand up vertically, and the vehicle stops while the spinning driver whirls and turns in place. Move the wand back down horizontally, and make your truck turn and drive forward in the direction that the driver is facing. It's a whirl of a good time. Age 3+. - - Features include: - - •Watch it drive across the floor with the control of a unique and easy to use remote control wand - •Pull the wand up vertically, and the vehicle stops while the spinning driver whirls and turns in place - •Move the wand back down horizontally, and make your truck turn and drive forward - •For ages 3+ years - -
- Putting out fires in a neighborhood near you! The award winning My First RC, Go Go Fire truck includes a “steering-wheel style” two button remote and bump 'n go siren sound. Squeezable soft and chunky in shape makes it perfect for little hands. Made in a safe, child friendly design and controlled by a simple function remote. Push the button up and the truck goes straight. Push the button down and it spins in circles. Chunky style is perfect for little hands. - - Requires 1 9V & 3 AA Batteries (Not Included). - - For Ages: 2 years & up. - - Product Dimensions: 4" x 5" x 6.5" -
- Ratchet up the fun with the Ratchet Racers Fire Truck and School Bus set. Ratchet up the motor and push the button to watch them go. The cars are 100% kid powered. Interchangeable bodies add to the fun and allow you to make kooky cars with a Fire Engine front and School Bus back or vice versa. Age 3+ No batteries necessary. - - Features include: - - •Ratchet up the motor and push the button to watch them go - •Cars are 100% kid powered - •Interchangeable bodies add to the fun - •For ages 3+ years - •No batteries necessary - -
- Children will feel as though they're riding the big red fire engines and hearing the clang-clang of the bell! Active pictures transport young readers to the scene where brave firemen connect the hoses and save the day.
Summary: - Star Wars: ABC is an alphabetical adventure through the imaginative and intergalactic world of Star Wars featuring the names and images of the most popular characters, droids, spaceships, and creatures in this galaxy far, far away. - - With artistic alliterative text that describes each image and emphasizes each letter, Star Wars: ABC is a completely new way to learn about the legendary story of Star Wars. - - - - - About the Author: - - •0 - Author:Scholastic - Illustrator:0 - Publisher:Cartwheel Books - Published Date:07/01/2010 - Format:Hardcover - ISBN:0545227380 - #of pages:#N/A -
Summary: - At the end of the school year, Kendra and her brother Seth find themselves racing back to Fablehaven, a refuge for mythical and magical creatures. Grandpa Sorenson, the caretaker, invites three specialists -- a potion master, a magical relics collector, and a mystical creature trapper -- to help protect the property from the Society of the Evening Star, an ancient organization determined to infiltrate the preserve and steal a hidden artifact of great power. Time is running out. The Evening Star is storming the gates. If the artifact falls into the wrong hands, it could mean the downfall of other preserves and possibly the world. Will Kendra learn to use her fairy gifts in time? Will Seth stay out of trouble? - - About the Author: - - •Brandon Mull is the author of the Beyonders series, as well as the - New York Times, USA Today - , and - Wall Street Journal - bestselling Fablehaven series. He resides in Utah, in a happy little valley near the mouth of a canyon with his wife and four children. Brandon’s greatest regret is that he has but one life to give for Gondor.^ - Brandon Dorman - is the illustrator of - Be Glad Your Nose is on Your Face - and - The Wizard - , both by Jack Prelutsky; and - The Christmas Sweater - by Glenn Beck. He received a degree in fine arts from Brigham Young University-Idaho and lives in Puyallup, Washington, with his family. - Author: Brandon Mull - Illustrator: Brandon Dorman - Publisher:Aladdin - Published Date:04/22/2008 - Format:Paperback - ISBN:1416957707 - #of pages:#N/A -
- When there's a big emergency, you're the right kid for the job. Grab your Fire Hero-on-the-Go backpack so you're always ready for action, just like a real firefighter. Then, quickly convert your backpack into a fire station command center so you can save the day. Press one button to sound the alarm to let your firefighter action figure know there's an emergency and press another to activate the lights and sounds. Send your little hero down the fire pole and into his fire truck vehicle, then load up the fire hose accessory so you can blast the water shot accessory at the imaginary flames. Once the job is done, send the truck vehicle back to the command center so your figure can practice at the training tower accessory. Then, pack everything all up again so that when the situation calls for a hero, you're right there and ready for action. The pack comes with 1 action figure, fire truck vehicle, fire hose accessory, water shot accessory, tower, ramp cover and instructions. It includes 3 AAA batteries. - - - Product Dimensions (inches): 5.2 (L) x 19 (W) x 13 (H) - - Age: 3 years and up - -
- Younger children will have fun learning all about the fire department with this Little Woodsy Book! With brightly-colored illustrations and sturdy, easy-to-grasp wooden pages, Little Woodsy Books are an exciting way of learning new words and concepts! - - - Product Measures: 5.75"x5"x1.75" - - Recommended Ages: 3 years & Up - -
Family, faith and music: small-town girl Angie King leaves the first two behind to pursue a dream of singing stardom. LeToya Luckett of the original Destiny's Child makes her movie breakthrough in this inspiring tale bursting with music (including performances by Luckett and co-star/R&B hitmaker Durrell "Tank" Babbs) and talent. Luckett plays Angie, the daughter of a stern but loving bishop, whose attraction to the hunky star (Tank) of a traveling gospel show takes her on the road...and into romance, heartbreak and the realization that the happiness she seeks may be in the home she left behind. But will her disapproving father welcome his prodigal daughter back? Join Angie on a powerful coming-of-age journey. - - Features include: - - •MPAA Rating: PG-13 - •Format: DVD - •Runtime: 110 minutes -
Summary: - - - The Ghoulunatics - The Vault-Keeper, the Old Witch, and everyone's favorite, The Crypt-Keeper are back to offer their twisted takes on "Diary of a Wimpy Kid," the "Twilight"series, and Guitar Hero. The cover-featured Stinky Dead Kid stars in two tales - - one that explains exactly how he became a Stinky Dead Kid, and another in which he battles "Guitar Demon," a popular musical toy that's become possessed by an evil entity. There's also the trenchant tale of teen love involving a girl and a vampire, "Dielite," and the riotous return of the ever-doomed Thomas Donnelly in his most bizarre tale yet. - - - - About the Author: - - • - - - - Stefan Petrucha - has written X-Files comics and for Disney comics. He is the author of a few YA series: "Timetripper" (Razorbill), "Frankenstein" (DK Books), "Wicked Dead" with Thomas Pendleton (Harper Collins) and the young adult fiction title, - Teen Inc. - (Walker Books for Young Readers). His latest hardcover, "The Rule of Won," was published in September 2008 to rave reviews. - - - Rob Vollmar - is a writer of and about comics and Manga from Norman, Oklahoma. He writes commentary and reviews for magazines like - The Comics Journal - and - World Literature - as well as having authored Manga columns such as "The Occidental Tourist" (Ninth Art) and "International Geographic" - - (Comic Book Galaxy). He is the author of "Bluesman" and "The Castaways" for NBM Publishing. - - - Jim Salicrup - started at fifteen under Stan Lee at Marvel Comics, eventually becoming editor of their flagship Spider-Man line of comic books where he relaunched the character in a bold new look that proved extremely popular, with artist Todd MacFarlane (Spawn). Hired away by Topps, he founded their comic book line based on licensed properties, showing a great nose by snatching X-Files, Xena, and Hercules long before they became great hits. He is on the board of trustees of the New York Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art (MOCCA). - - - Tim Smith 3 - has drawn comics for Marvel, DC Comics, Tokyopop, and Zuda. He has illustrated all of Thomas Donnelly's adventures and mishaps in "Tales From the Crypt." - - - Rick Parker's - - - artwork has been seen in the New York Times, Village Voice, The NY Press, The Daily News, The Chicago Tribune, on 60 Minutes, CNN, Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Nickelodeon Magazine, Cracked, and in millions of MTV's Beavis and Butt-Head Comic Books worldwide. - - - - Author: Stefan^Kinney-Petrucha Petrucha - Illustrator: Rick^Kim Parker - Publisher:Papercutz - Published Date:11/10/2009 - Format:Hardcover - 1597071641 - -
Summary: - Now you can write your own bestseller! - - With - The Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book - , you're the author, illustrator, and main character. Filled with loads of interactive pages and plenty of space to write your own life's story, this book is all you need to create your masterpiece. Whatever you do, make sure you put it someplace safe after you finish. Because when you're rich and famous, this thing is going to be worth a fortune. - - Includes more than 60 new pages! 32 pages of full-color comics (16 brand-new)! - - About the Author: - - • - - - Jeff Kinney - is an online game developer and designer, and a #1 - New York Times - bestselling author. In 2009, Jeff was named one of - Time - magazine's 100 Most Influential People in the World. He spent his childhood in the Washington, D.C., area and moved to New England in 1995. Jeff lives in southern Massachusetts with his wife and their two sons. - - - Author: Jeff Kinney - Illustrator:0 - Publisher:Amulet Books - Published Date:05/10/2011 - Format:Hardcover - ISBN:0810989956 - #of pages:#N/A -
Books > Children's Books 9-12 years > "kids book fire star"
YoYo.com Books items include more than 1625 products - from Harper Collins to 1800DIAPERS. Check around! You'll see we've got great prices on all products. Shipping is always free when you spend $49 or more, and we ship FAST - overnight to more than 75% of the country, and in 2 days to everyone else. We don't hide our telephone number, like most websites.
�2005 - 2013, Quidsi, Inc. or its Affiliates. YoYo.com is operated by Quidsi Solutions LLC. Products on YoYo.com are sold by Quidsi Retail LLC. Gift Cards and E-Gift Cards sold on YoYo.com are sold by Quidsi Gift Cards, Inc.